If your mobile connection isn’t providing the quality of service that you initially expected, you may be looking forward to getting a connection from a different service provider. Not just quality of service, expensive packages, better offers from other providers or change of location, there are multiple reasons why numerous people wish to change their mobile phone operator.
If you are amongst one of those people who wish to get better network connectivity from your operator, you might be thinking that you need to change your number and go through multiple processes that can eat up a significant chunk of your time. Mobile number porting helps you to avoid that.
What is porting?
Mobile number porting allows users to port number from one telecom operator to another, without having to go through the ordeal of changing their phone number. Therefore, for the user, everything remains the same as it was before, just the mobile operator changes. It is a quick, hassle free and extremely streamlined process.
How can I port my mobile number?
If you are indeed eager to port your phone, follow the steps below and get yourself a better plan that caters to all your requirements while providing you unmatched service and call quality:
Note: Before you change the mobile operator, please ensure that all bills for your current operator are paid and the exiting connection should be active for at least 90 days before porting can be allowed on the phone number.
- Choose the service provider to whom wish to switch over to.
- On your mobile phone’s SMS app, type the following message – PORT, and follow it with your 10-digit mobile number.
- Send the message to TRAI’s central portability number – 1900
Thus, for example, you must send the following piece of text ‘PORT99xxxxxx99’ to the number 1900.
- Once the text is sent, you’ll receive an SMS back, which will contain a port out code. Remember, that this code will stay valid only for 15 days.
- Visit the nearest store of the operator that you want for your new connection.
- Tell the required associates at the store that you wish to port your number and they will fill up the porting and customer acquisition forms (CAF) for you. These forms are necessary to ensure a smoother transition for you into the new operator’s network.
- During your visit to the store, remember to carry a passport size photograph of yourself along with a self-attested copy of your identity proof. Also, carry an address proof (which could be a copy of your rent agreement, three month’s bank statement, landline bill or electricity bill).
- Submit all the documentations and forms as guided by the representatives present at the operator’s store.
- If you have a postpaid plan, then ensure that you submit the last bill that you have paid alongside the porting form and CAF.
- Once all the formalities are completed, you will be provided with a new SIM card by the mobile operator.
- You can be charged up to ₹19 for porting, depending upon the service provider you have chosen.
- Your mobile number will be ported into the new operator’s network within a period of 7 days. However, in case you reside in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam or the other North Eastern states, then the entire process can take up to 15 days.
- The new service provider will keep sending you messages via SMS, informing about the date and time for porting.
- As per the date and time provided by your new operator, replace your previous SIM card with the newer SIM card that was provided from the store.
Please note that the services on your old SIM will not be affected during the porting process. There can be a downtime of 2 hours, but it will happen only at night.